Action Plans in farms
One of the main activities of the project is based on the creation and implementation of Action Plans in at least 120 farms in the four participant countries: 24 in Germany, 48 in Spain (considering that there are two Spanish partners), 24 in France and 24 in Italy.
Once the farms have been selected, an initial evaluation will be carried out making use of the common evaluation tool (ACCT). This first evaluation will analyse the starting point, weaknesses related to energy consumption, GHG emissions and the global situation regarding climate change.
According to the obtained data, a specific Action Plan will be designed for each farm. These Plans will be ellaborated together with the farmers, taking into account the potential cost, possible available funding resources, etc. They will include different measures that will vary according to the type of farming system, in order to achieve the goals concerning the reduction of energy consumption and GHG emissions.
The Action Plans will be developed in 2011-2013 and will include annual evaluations with ACCT. When the Plans finish, the conclusions drawn throughout the whole process will be used in order to make global proposals. These proposals will be intended for the creation of new agri-environmental measures and other European and national programmes as well as different subsidies destined to support climate change mitigation through farming.
The objectives of the Action Plans will be, for instance:
- Reduction of GHG emissions and energy consumption.
- Proposals for improving the situation of the analysed farms.
- Improvement of farming practices (energy saving programmes).
- Substitution of energy sources for renewable sources and other innovative techniques.
- Selection of more efficient crops or better adapted to climate change.
- Increase of carbon sinks in farms.
The final goals are:
- To achieve a reduction of energy consumption and GHG emissions according to the different production systems.
- To establish a Global Action Plan to Combat Climate Change for each farming system that can be applicable to all farms included in each system.